Thursday, June 23, 2005


I am doing a warm-up technique for Art Exploration's AEM - art exploration of the month. This will end up being altered puzzle pieces - using acrylic paint. This is step 1.

1. Find puzzle pieces that are sturdy. Flimsy ones will warp and bend from
the paint. I use old puzzles from my kids. You can also get blank puzzle
pieces from outsidethemargins.com, hobby/craft stores, and teacher stores.
2. Lay the puzzle pieces face up on wax paper. Make sure that you leave
enough room so they won't touch each other. Do the puzzle pieces in batches.
They take time to dry before each step, so you might want to do several at
once.
3. I pick out several acrylic paint colors that I like. Vary your colors
between light and dark. I squeeze a little of each color on a paper plate.
I use an old round brush for the application.
4. No initial prep is necessary, I just go over the puzzle piece as is. If
you want, you can gesso the puzzle piece first. I usually go from dark to
light colors.
5. I hold the puzzle by its edges with one hand and paint with the other
hand. Yes, your hands will get dirty doing this. I put on some dark color.
I do squishing and swirling. It does not matter if your paint layers are even
or not. I then take another color and go over the previous paint color (yes,
you do this while it is still wet). You smush, squish, swirl in the other
color. Do not mix in too much or it will muddy. I do that with a few colors
until I get the color design that I like. You do need to cover the entire
surface of the puzzle piece.
6. Lay the painted puzzle piece back on the wax paper and LET DRY COMPLETELY.
Do the same steps for the other puzzle pieces. The colors will look more faded
and matte after the paint dries. No worries. The color will come through in
the end when you put on the Diamond Glaze or its equivalent.
Next will be the Lumiere paint application.

Join us at art explorations if you want to know how I finish this. Come join us, try out new, creative techniques, and then swap them! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artexplorations

No comments: