Friday, June 23, 2006

Getting older can suck

There are many things that I like about getting older. I don't care as much about chasing the money since having kids. I have a day job now that I really love even though it can frustrate the crap out of me. I find that I still want to be with children more than adults.

I went for my physical today. I have not had one in awhile since I see several doctors for chronic problems. Can't do much about the osteoarthritis because of my reflux and IBS - aspirin and other arthritis meds can set off my gastro issues. My waist is little thicker now. My C-section pouch is more noticeable to me. I gained a few pounds even though I am as active as ever and don't eat much. I snack more than I eat - several small meals a day. Very moderate on the junk. I am much warmer than ever. I was always cold. I need to wear reading glasses even with my contacts in when I read or work on the computer. Yes, it appears that perimenopause has set in. No idea how many years that can last. Still need the mammogram and pelvic ultrasound.

I normally do not complain about my chronic issues except to my immediate family. Even when I am having a bad day, I plug along and tell the kids to work with me since I am not feeling my best that day. There are times when I need to be my own sub for a period or two. I don't understand people who constantly complain about their health issues. Doesn't everybody have their own issues? I don't want sympathy. I want to be able to do what I can while I still can. It's no one's business but my own. I don't want people to know when I am having an IBS attack. What are they going to do about it except tolerate my whining?

1 comment:

emhowl said...

I don't know if you can get them in the US but have you tried varifocal contact lenses? I couldn't bear reading glasses, aged 47, having worn lenses for 30 years and complained to my optometrist. Varifocals don't work for everyone. I've got one in one eye which works so I can from close up to the horizon, whereas the other eye has my ordinary lens, so I can always see the horizon (like when driving) even if the other eye is only focusing near. (It's my fault for having eyes where the lenses sit off centre sometimes.) NOT wearing glasses is BRILLIANT.

All the other aspects of aging are irritating, but old sight can be avoided!