I cranked this out yesterday. I went and pounded out the metal disks awhile back. They just sat there. I have had the idea for awhile but it got changed mid-stream. What else is new. My vision was to have a half half clay piece on there and I would have put a rivet through the two to keep it together. I did not like the way it looked, so I cut the middle out to make the clay pieces smaller. I put it in the middle. I put a little glue on there so the clay pieces would stay put. I liked how the baking made the copper darker. I was at a workshop yesterday and attached them together in between doing other things. I did not bring the right pliers so my cold joining was not the best.
I started out with some thicker gauge copper sheet and cut out the circles. I pounded it out into disc form. I used my Dremel and drilled two sets of holes on each end. I did not do just one on each end so the discs would not twist around on my wrist.
I used the Ecru color, stamped the images on the clay, and then used the other end of a pastry tip to make the clay circles. I used some glue to make sure they stayed on the metal discs. I cut the middle parts of the clay circles out to make sure they were a little smaller than the copper discs. Baked them at the recommended temp and let cool. I used burnt umber, transparent red oxide, interference green oxide, and then some blue fluid acrylic. I wiped the excess off with a wipe. I let it dry for a little bit and then use a fine grit sand paper on the surface to get it that smooth ivory look.
I had some coconut beads and used that with copper wire to do the cold joining. I did not have the right pliers, so the wire wrapping is a little rough. BTW, the stamps I used are from Barbara McGuire.
I will post later on what I did at her workshop. Great piece.