Sunday, November 11, 2007

Polymer clay transfers - answer for Sabine

Blogger does not give me an easy way to answer questions. None that I know of anyway.

I was actually very transfer challenged until recently. I have been doing much better since taking a workshop with Barbar McGuire. If you have not done so yet, she is a very good instructor. I had actually given up on polymer clay because I found it tedious and boring. I took a workshop with her at Art Unraveled and she changed my mind. It is not very often that I do that.

I have several of her stamps and just recently purchased some of her tranfers. I really like the angel ones.

http://store.barbaramcguire.com/imtrsh.html

She also recently came out with some frame stamps that you can use for polymer clay pendants. I don't have it yet, but it really looks interesting. I can see the possibilities.
http://www.barbaramcguire.com/past_pages/products.html

The transfer images used have to be laser. It cannot be inkjet. Just think of it as NOT using the printers with small print cartridges. You can use the desktop lasers with the big toner cartridges. The stand-along copiers at Kinkos, Office Depot, and Staples will work as well. I have used regular paper and it works. I usually use Jonathan Talbot's acrylic paper and that works better for me. Less paper residue.

Sabine asked about the transfers itself. All I did was roll out a piece of clay on the pasta machine. It has to be kinda thin so you can adhere it onto another piece of clay. Of course, you can make it thicker if you are using only one layer. I like the layered look though. Put the piece of clay onto a tile or whatever you are using to put it in the oven. Do what you need to the edges first, trim, smooth, whatever. Cut the transfer to the size needed - slightly smaller. If the paper goes over the edge, it has a tendency to pull some of the transfer off with it. Just place the tranfer image face down on the clay. Use a bone folder and press down gently but firmly into the clay. You don't want to distort the clay but you want the ink from the image to transfer to the clay. I also use my finger and smooth the edges to make sure I get that part of the transfer. Wait a couple of minutes. Get a spray bottle and spritz the transfer. Start rubbing the back of the transfer in a circular motion from the center going out. Remove paper as necessary. Rub gently until paper is off and you see the image. If you get some white haziness, then rewet and rub gently. If the transfer starts to come off, then you need to stop. The clay has grabbed hold of it and will not release it. A little liquid Sculpey will help. Use your finger or a small applicator and put on a thin, level layer of it onto the tranfer image. That should help to clear up the cloudiness. If you want, put a dab of paint where there is still a little white showing so it won't be so evident after baking. Then you can bake according to instructions. If you are going to put holes into it, then do it before baking. I usually use the end of a large paperclip.

Here are where Barbara's stamps are
http://polymerclayexpress.com/creative_clay_stamps.html

I have the tribal ancestory one, dots and circles, and Klimt wallpaper.

If you have any questions, then please your email address with your question in the comment section. Otherwise, I can't get hold of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Belinda, for your detailed answer. can´t wait to try.