Monday, January 21, 2008

2" Challenge for February


Getting an early start here on the February Challenge for the Mixed Media Art group. The challenge is to create a finished piece on a 2x2" surface. It can be canvas - which I used, chipboard, matboard, or some other sturdy surface.


What I did here was use some copper foil as the background. Some double-sided tape easily did the job. I also put some silver roofing tape (or something similar) on the edges for some contrast. I just tore little pieces and put it on the edges. I used some transparent red oxide and hooker's green fluid acrylic on the background so the copper would not look so bright. Then I used a handwriting stamp and black Stazon on the background. I was in Arizona last summer and found some really fun objects there - metal, electronic, and little lightbulbs. The clockface is from skybluepink.com. The Einstein face is from a playing card. I colored the prongs with quin crimson for contrast. There were a lot of other prongs on the piece but I pulled them off with pliers. A couple of the sections split off but I rather liked the effect when I glued it down. I used some really tacky glue from Tombo. Still trying to get that sticky feeling off my fingertips.


For this challenge, you don't have to do something 3 D or a mini-assemblage. You can do a flat collage or even something with fabric. Whatever you like to do. I just did this as an example.


Comments welcome.

4 comments:

May Terry said...

This is a wonderful piece. I love your work!

May from the Assemblage Artists list

Gaby Bee said...

These piece is really stunning! Love your colorful art work!

Anonymous said...

This is a fun piece. I liked that you didn't have to use words to explain it.

Anonymous said...

This is so cool! It's amazing how much you got on that little canvas! :)