Friday, March 07, 2008

In honor of my grandmother

I am mourning the loss of both my grandmothers. My maternal grandmother passed away from a stroke a few years ago right after my daughter's birthday. My grandmother, shown in the above picture, passed away last week Sunday (2/24/08). Her funeral was last Wednesday. May Lee or Yum Ching Lee passed away at the age of 89. Recently, she had to go into a nursing home. Her deteriorating health and increasing dementia made it necessary. It was not that long ago that I took the kids to see her. I am glad that I was able to do so. My grandmother loved my kids so. They were her only great-grandchildren. I know that they brought her a lot of joy. She was always concerned about their welfare and never missed one seeing them at a family get-together. She was tickled pink every time she got to see them. Grandma was a very strong woman. My grandfather died when my dad was young. I never knew him and never heard that much about him. My grandmother took care of her 3 boys by owning restaurant after restaurant. I remember working in one when I was old enough to do so. Grandma was always very firm with the boys and did things her way. She had a soft spot for me and my sister. We are the only girls in our generation. Grandma spoiled my sister and me. She was always looking out for us. I am glad that my kids got to know their great -grandmothers. My daughter might be a little young to remember but my son will. He was so sad for me. I will greatly miss both of
my grandmothers.

6 comments:

Jan Scholl said...

Your gramma was and is beautiful. Her love will shine threw you to your children and into the future. I have no photos of my gramma, only memories of her teaching me to cook and knit. But they will always be with me. Memories never die and are passed on to future generations. That is sometimes all we have but so worth the trouble to share. Thank you for sharing your gramma with me.

Art By Wanda said...

I'm sorry for your loss. ((hugs))

Elaine said...

so sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother, but know that you will see her again someday. I don't know if that is your belief or not, but it is mine.
Hugs to you
Elaine

rscoach said...

Belinda - so sorry to hear of your G'ma's passing - she sounds like she was an amazing strong woman and you and your sister and your children are luck to have known her - What a gift you gave her to have your children in her life - it's never easy to lose a loved one - my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time of mourning - xo reva solomon (Los Angeles)

Sandy said...

she was beautiful. what a nice tribute to your grandmothers. as long as you keep her in your heart, she will always live.

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry for the loss of your grandmother. She is beautiful Belinda. Your grandmother was a very strong and loving person, I can only imagine how much you miss her. With deepest sympathy.