Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Texture ATCs


These were done for the ABC alteredbookclub Texture ATC swap. Click on the pict for a larger view.
BTW, if you are interested, I have a great source for chipboard ATCs, inchies, and 1.5 inch squares. You can do a bulk buy for a really, really good price. 100 pack would be $6.30 plus $4.80 shipping (domestic, price can change at any time). Better deals for larger quantities, probably. You can always split it with someone and save mucho dineros. I like chipboard for ATCs - especially texture ones - less tendency to warp like with card stock. It is worth it because I don't get really straight cuts when I cut my own chipboard. The ones I get from my source are clean and straight. Well worth it for me. I also use chipboard ATCs for samples for other people. Email me (link at right) and I will reply with her email. I don't know her store link but will post it when I find out.
Okay, technique time. Chipboard ATC, masking tape, silver, copper, or any metallic color Lumiere paint, paintbrush, coarse sand paper, key, frayed burlap Distress ink and reinker (you can easily substitute the green or brown color, even the dark blue color is muy cool).
Tear off small strips of tape and put on ATC. Overlap. You can go over the edge but fold it over and press down so it won't come up later. When you have covered the ATC with masking tape, give it a good once over so the tape is on firmly. This is your texture part.
Take the paintbrush and give it a good, even coat of Lumiere. Let dry and give it a second coat. The ATC should be completely dry before going on to the next step.
Take an old key and run it over the masking tape to make some deep marks. Okay to go into chipboard. Dig into it but don't take a chunk of tape with it. Take excess tape off end of key as you go along.
Take a piece of coarse sand paper and run it over the ATC. I like to do the edges. Okay to expose chipboard. You want that. You want the Distress ink to stick to and color the exposed areas. Wipe with paper towel to get grit off.
Reink your Distress pad. Take the pad direct to ATC and rub it around in a circular motion all over the ATC. Make sure you get into the exposed areas where you sanded and put the key marks. Don't forget to edge with the Distress Ink pad. Reink if necessary, if you are doing multiple ATCs. If you are not getting enough ink into the exposed areas, use a foamie thing or cosmetic foamie thing to get the ink into the exposed areas. The areas with Lumiere should be a bit darker as well.
Let dry completely. The end result looks like my pict above. This is a variation of the faux metal technique that I have been doing lately. This is how I did the roof of my little house.

1 comment:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Simply wonderful. Great tutorial, too.

Elizabeth