Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Kandi Corp Wax Art

This is a piece of silkscreened fabric that I absolutely love. I mounted it to a hard board using that thermobond stuff and an iron. I used Kandi wax with fine tip to write the words and to etch in the black veins or whatever you call it onto the barren trees. Looks cool, doesn't it? The tip gave me a lot of control. You can click on the pict to make it larger.
This is a great piece of silk that I used my felting machine on. I felted it together before sewing the heart on it. The heart had some silkscreened patterns on it. I added on quite a bit of wax to the patterns. I bet you can't tell what is fabric paint and what is wax. I was very happy with the results. I also took the fine tip and dotted the silk areas with red. I followed the stitches where I stitched along the silk to keep it together. The wax works with fabric in ways that I had never thought of before. It really does work well with my silkscreening.


Yes, another example of silkscreened fabric. It was just one color. I took the Kandi fine tip and did all this. Look at all the designs and different colors. I basically doodled. I love how the white came out. The black looks great, too. If you know me, I am not a fan of pink. The pink worked well here as well. It provided a great contrast to my flower pattern. It is a great way to spice up my art quilts. Will need to keep that in mind for the future.


These are two little wood embellishments that they use for scrapbooking. They are thin wood flowers and swirlies. They are also good to use as stencils. The wax works really well on wood. Use the fine tip here instead of the spade. Add a dab of glue on the back and you have a great embellishment. It did not take me long to do this at all. It was lot of fun. This is also something that I think that tweeny girls would love to do. My 6 yro was begging me to do. I let her do one with my supervision. She did a great job on hers. When she did hers. I had a heat sheet underneath so she did not have to worry about getting wax anywhere. It also made for easy clean-up on my part. I cleaned the tip for her.


This was a piece of wood that was left-over from another project that was not used yet. It was partially painted with that Tim Holtz crackle paint. You can tell by the small crackles. I know that sometimes wax does not hold well to acrylic paint. I figured I would try it anyway since there was bare wood for it to hold onto in spots. I used the fine tip again. I used some brass stencils so I would not melt anything. I just put the fine tip into the wax cube and then into the stencils. Instead of drawing, I just kinda dabbed it into the stencil. I made sure I got the entire stencil covered as best I could. Little of bit of it bled, but it came out pretty well f0r the most part. Don't you think? I just wrote Kandi Corp Hot Wax free-hand. I love the little ant. I have an affinity for lizards. Like I said before, the wax works well on wood.




I had these ATCs left-over from I don't know what. I sanded the arrow off. It was grungeboard. I used the Kandi Corp metal wax on it to see how it looked. It really made it pop. Just wanted to show you that you can really be mixed media!





This last piece, I used the Kandi Corp fine tip on three wooden discs and just doodled on them. I took out my trusty Dremel and drilled holes into them. I had my jewelery stuff still out and made them into a quick necklace. I just used different colored wax with the fine tip and kept dotting the discs. Done.


I was doing some wax art and came up with some fun stuff that I thought that I would share. When I first did this, I used the spade tip. I shared that with a lot of you via the article I did in Embellishments - the email newsletter for Cloth Paper Scissors. Now, I mainly used the writing/calligraphy tip and that gave me a lot of control. I am so groovin' on that right now. The thing is to be patient and to work in small areas. Have a paper towel or small towel available to wipe up the excess wax. Use an old towel that you don't mind using as an art towel or part of one that you can throw away. Keep wiping off the tip so you don't accidentally contaminate the colors on your art piece. Give it an extra wipe if you are going from dark to light colors. If you want to layer on light colored wax on top of dark colored wax, it will not work well because the light colors have a tendency to melt right into the dark colors. Works better the other way around. It might work better if you let the colors cool completely in between layering. I am not that patient. Just experiment.

Here is the link to the Kandi Corp Wax Art. They even have a video for you: http://www.kandicorp.com/HotWaxArt.htm

Comments welcome. Happy New Year!

No comments: