Saturday, April 22, 2006

Feeling my age

I finally had to suck it up and start wearing reading glasses. I am only 42 but my eyes are getting older. I wear contacts and am very near sighted. I am actually legally blind without corrective lenses. They do not have laser surgery for my degree of nearsightedness yet. It is alos not a cheap procedure and not covered by insurance. I guess all those years of reading all the time and especially in dim light has taken its toll on my eyes. Staring at a computer for hours on end does not help either. It is also genetics. Chinese people are notoriously near sighted. Makes our almond eyes look more squinty. I am not looking forward to the day when I will need bifocals. Maybe science will have advanced so much by that time that I would not need them at all. I count my blessings and know that this is one of my lesser chronic issues. Wearing reading glasses makes me look a little bit older and more like a granny. Maybe being humbled once in awhile is a good thing for me.

4 comments:

Mim Smith Faro said...

But I can just imagine you in a pair of those funky painted reading glasses!

Anonymous said...

They make really beautiful varifocal lenses now, nothing like the horrible bifocals - so take heart! From a now dependent specs wearer.
Evie

debla said...

Well,
Take haert...there is a new proceedure out that they somehow place weights on the eye to even the most nearsighted person...it's supposed to be a lot safer than laser tech. I 'm sorry, I've fogotten more of the details -but you might ask your doc about it next time you're there...or look in a library/online for more info. -Deb

debla said...

Take heart, there's a new technique out there where they place weights on the eye...it's supposed to be good for those who are nearsighted or have astigmatism. Ask your doc next time you're in...or chek for info on the web. Hope that helps. -D