Saturday, April 08, 2006

More on Jonathan Talbot...and me

At first, I was going back and forth about even taking this workshop. I had recently completed an all day workshop with Laura Lein-Svencner. She did a great job showing me the technique that Jonathan uses on his collages. I learned quite a bit from her and it reconfirmed my desire to pursue collage and assemblage. I decided that it was an opportunity that I could not pass up. I always learn something at every workshop I go to. This was by far the most different workshop I had ever attended. I finally figured out that it was because Jonathan teaches to the students that want to do the more fine (higher-end) art. There is nothing wrong with ABs, ATCs, fat books, etc...but you would not take Jonathan Talbot for that. His whole approach was different. I have never met a person with so many layers. He revealed so many of them in the two days we were together for the workshop. He gave me this art project idea that I can't get out of my head. I keep coming back to it. I am going to pursue it. You will see the ongoing results in future blog entries. I think that you should take Jonathan's workshop if you are serious about being a collage artist. I don't think that you necessarily have to use his technique with polymer medium and tack iron. I think that you will come away with a commitment to do more with your art. I know that I have.

I have been vascillating between doing collage/assemblage and continuing with fat books, ATCs, etc...After taking the workshop, I have decided that it is time to move onto the next phase in my art journey and leave the fat books and ATCs behind. I am not saying that I am never going to do them again. I will. I am grateful for all the friends and support I have gotten through the groups and the projects. I am just going to leave them behind as a primary focus. I was getting tired of doing them anyway. I am going to finish off all my current projects and focus on collage and assemblage. I really enjoy doing book shrines and will continue to do that. I will continue to explore my "outsider art" side through collage and assemblage. I am going to try and exhibit more. I have cut down on my Yahoo groups. I am only going to be active in a few of them. I am going to try and get my online business up and running.

I have to tell you that it is not a common thing for me to be so reflective after a workshop. I usually just have fun at workshops, learn a technique or two, and have some "me" time. After Laura's and Jonathan's workshops, I refocused my direction. I feel more centered in what I want to accomplish with my art. Now with the school year almost over (the next couple of months will fly by). I am going to spend my time trying to get some pieces done for an exhibit this fall. I will never give up teaching and sharing online completely. It is in my blood. I am actually more in my groove teaching when I am groovin' in my art.

Back to Jonathan Talbot. He was a very introspective person. You will not be rushed along to the next thing. He will work with you to reach your expectations. The pacing is slower in this workshop than in others I have attended. He supplies top shelf supplies and is not skimpy on anything. He is a great hostess. He provided us with some great snacks. I don't know about the others but I got a lot out of this workshop. I learned quite a bit about technique and about collage. I have no intentions of turning his style into mine. I do want to take what he has given me and turn it into my own by adapting it with what I enjoy doing. I loved that he used quite a bit of Joseph Cornell in his early works. I love that Joseph Cornell used so many found objects in his pieces. The best part of the workshop was when I was kicking out mini collages one after another. I do my best work when I just do it instead of overthinking it.

I do recommend the transfer paper that he sells through his site. The paper is great for transfers and the cloudy film from the paper is much less than with regular paper used for laser copies. I need to get a toner copier for transfers. One more thing to save up for, eh?

Okay, I am done for now. I need to go and get a cup of tea.

No comments: