Wednesday, February 21, 2007

9 Panels for swap



These gold panels are for a swap for Altered Art Obsession Yahoo group. I just joined recently and have been participating in some fun swaps. I did not do a lot of swaps last year because I was exhibiting and trying to get artwork done for that. I am taking a break from that now. I am enjoying swapping again. What I like most about doing swaps is that it is a short term thing. If I don't like it or get bored with it, I can go on to something else.

I have never done a 9 panel swap before. This was a lot of fun for me because it was different. I usually don't do flowers much. It was a stretch for me. I like to try anything once. Sometimes, I do it again, sometimes I don't. That is the fun of being a technique junkie.

If you click on the picts, then a larger view will come up so you can see more detail. The background is a 4x4 canvas panel from Dick Blick. They cost about $.39 a panel. I painted the edges and sides an iridescent gold with a little halo pink gold lumiere mixed in. The background papers on top of that is from some background pages I just did. Look at a previouw post about initial background papers. I edged it with a little brown ink and did some random sewing to give it a little contrast so it was not all gold. I used the Provo Craft mini sewing machine and it worked great.

I freeformed some thin gold wire to put behind the flower petals. The bottom flower petals are from a RAK I received from hosting a swap. They are some cheapie silk-like flowers that I painted with iridescent gold paint - both sides. I left a little of the original color showing for some contrast. The top flower came from some plastic flowers that someone sent me long ago and I had in my stash of "stuff". I took the plastic flowers and glued some printed paper on top of it. I then cut the flower out from the printed paper using the plastic flower glued to the back of the paper as a guide. I used a gold color wash on top of the print to give it the gold sheen. I used a dry brush and randomly brushed on some gold paint in places.

I drilled a hole kinda in the middle of the canvas panel and background paper with my Dremel. I punched a hole in the flowers. Then, I used a gold brad to attach the flowers and metal wire to the canvas panel.

Now, all I have to do is find a box and then I can delete another swap from my swap list. Can't wait to see how other people's panels will look like. Isn't that the best part of swaps? Never know what you will get back.

Comments welcome.

1 comment:

Arty Lady's blog said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing how you made it, you're a gem for sharing.