Sunday, June 10, 2007

Altered board book - getting started

Sorry, got sidetracked with last week of school and Bead&Button Show. I will start altering my board book this week.

If you are doing this with me - for the swap or not for the swap. Did you sand your board books yet? If you already did that, you might want to use some white gesso, not watered down, and do each page including the covers. Just use a paintbrush to accomplish that. Try not to go in random directions. Up and down or sideways works better especially if your backgrounds will be paint based. Your brush strokes can show up. You will need to let each page dry completely or the pages will stick together. You might need more than one layer if you don't want any of the what is on the page showing through.

I always recommend doing two of something if you are in a swap. That way, you can keep one for yourself. That way, you don't feel bad about sending your artwork to another person. I always keep one prototype for myself. When I no longer feel the attachment, I give it away or sell it. I was very attached to my altered books for a long time. One day, the attachment was gone and I sold them to an AB artist who would appreciate them.

If you have any comments or questions, email me at crazyartgirl@sbcglobal.net

If you want to join the 1-to-1 altered board book swap, it is happening in the Art Techniques group. Link in the right column. Details in File section under Open swaps. Sign-up in database. Mailing is not until 9/15, so you will have plenty of time to work on your book over the summer.

No comments: