Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Crackle Paint vs. Crackle Paste


I am working on some samples for workshop proposals. I got some the new Tim Holtz Distress crackle paints to see if they would crackle faster than the Golden's crackle paste. I was not impressed by the crackle paint.


I tried the crackle paint first on some copper sheet. The crackling was rather small and started to flake off. I guess I need to use some GAC or something for the paint to grab hold onto. I am trying to seal it with some spray sealer to see if that will help to keep it on.
The left pict is of the Distress crackle paint in two colors. I used a palette knife and spread the 2nd color on top. The right pict is of the Golden crackle paste after it crackled and I painted it.
You can click on the pict for a larger view.
What do I think? I paid $4.99 for approx. 1 oz bottle of paint. It was maybe 3/4 full because of the paint applicator. Reminded me of the old glues with the brush attached. It was rather thick. I used a lot of it just for th 4x8" piece of watercolor paper. The Golden crackle paste was about $9-10 for an 8 oz. bottle. Also, the crackle paste is white so I can paint it any color I want. I know that the crackle paint is a convenience item but I find it limiting since it is already colored.
I was not impressed with the crackle paints. It did not crackle much even though I put it on pretty thick on some areas. It took a pretty long time to dry - at least a few hours. I let the crackle paste dry overnight. I don't see much time advantage to the paint over the paste in a workshop application. I am disappointed. I would not spend the money for the crackle paints. I will experiment more and see if it crackles better under different conditions. I am staying with the Golden crackle paste.

5 comments:

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Good to know. Thanks for an informative review.
chris p

Judiwithaneye00 said...

I had a feeling that the results you got would be the case. I didn't like the idea of the color thing to begin with - I would rather add my own. The crackle paste you did is just sooo much more interesting than the paint. I guess there are some short cuts that are good and some that just are too darn short. Thanks for sharing your test results.
Judi Foster

Unknown said...

Loved your review of crackle paints. Looks like we have a couple things in common based on your picture. I'm half Asian. I love art and I am on my 31st year as a special education teacher. So you are much younger. I love the fact you are so passionate about kids. Special ed teachers seem to be a dying breed, leaving for general ed green pastures. I too have been all levels and disabilities but keep coming back to my hormonally challenged middle schoolers.
Rose Metzker

Pink Elephant Soapery said...

Hey Belinda! Saw your post on this and I think using good old Elmer's glue is the cheapest way to go with great results. I just bought some of the Golden's crackle paste and love it! It does not seem to be flaking off yet. It's on an 8x10 canvas that I am working on. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

Nice review of the crackle products. If you are using Crackle paste on a hard surface you must use a primer. I learned this the hard way. You can sue gesso or one of the gel mediums as a primer once dry apply the crackle paste. You might want to check out Golden’s site they have videos on using the products.
Chris P (a different one)