Monday, June 23, 2008

Hobby Lobby Comments

I got a lot of comments about my Hobby Lobby post. Many of them made me smile. I surmised that it was run by a Christian company since their door has a sign that says they take Sunday off for worship and so employees can be with their families. I think that it is good for the families who want to spend time with their families on Sundays. I don't know how practical it is in this world when Christmas stuff shows up before Halloween.

Does anyone remember when stores and restaurants used to be closed every major holiday like New Year's and 4th of July? Even grocery stores used to close early on Labor Day and Memorial Day. It was a running joke that the only places open during the holidays were movie theatres and Chinese restaurants. I see less and less of that all the time. A lot of places are only closed on Christmas now. It is convenient for people like me who like to shop with less crowds and who likes to take advantage of after-holiday sales. No, I usually don't do the Friday after Thanksgiving sales at 5 am unless there is something specific I really want for someone in my family.

I was just commenting on how contradictory it was that Hobby Lobby was closed on Sundays but their coupons came out on that day. I guess the people who do their advertising do not share the same views.

Thanks for all the comments around the contry and how their Hobby Lobby stores are in their area. Ours here does not do any Christian advertising that I am aware of. The area that I live in is very mixed. There are a lot of different types of people out here. We live right by Naperville, which was named the #1 place to raise kids at one time. There are a lot of families out here that are racially mixed - which was one of the reasons we moved so far west from Chicago. My kids are racially mixed - half Chinese and half Russian. I grew up in areas where I got a lot of crap for being Chinese. I don't want that happening to my kids. The advantage of living here is that there is a ton of stuff to do with the kids. I don't have to worry about my kids when we go out and eat because there are a lot of kids everywhere. They are older now anyway. The downside is that I have to buy seasonal clothes early or they run out of my kids' sizes. Try and buy soccer cleats mid-season, I usually have to go online for that!

Enjoy your week people. I am going to clean house now before finishing up a project. I need to get started on my samples for Dremel and to get packed for Valley Ridge this weekend. I am taking my one workshop for the year with Beryl Taylor.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Have a great time at your workshop in Wisconsin, Belinda!! Can't wait to hear about it when you get back.

Anonymous said...

I have to work VERY hard to tune out their background music, esp. at Christmas. Well, at Christmas, it's holiday musak, but other times, it's that Christian Pop stuff that grates on my nerves. I'm more multi-denominational that they are!
Dana