Monday, October 06, 2008

New book: Mixed-Media Self-Portraits

I don't have my copy yet, but I got the chance to steal a glimpse of it today. It is a keeper. The book is by Cate Prato. She is one of the editors at Quilting Arts/Cloth Paper Scissors (my favorite art mags, BTW). There has been such a flood of art books that I have not gotten very many lately. The ones that I have reviewed are the ones that I have gotten in the last several months. This is one of the few non-fabric or non-felting books that I have gotten. It is not very often when I flip through a book that is different and interesting. There are several artists featured in this book. I have met some of them - which made their self-portraits and vignettes more interesting. Since I am a teacher, I am very conscious of self-image. Not mine, I am talking about the my kids at school. It is so interesting to me how people see themselves. It is all a matter of perspective, isn't it? Artists are people, too. There are a lot of ideas and techniques for you to make your own self-portrait. The artists in the book all did it in different ways. Picts are very large and very clear. Good way to see yourself in a different way. Flipping through it quickly, there are quite a few things in the book that I will have to try. Can't wait to get my copy. Did I already say that? Wonder what our future generations will think of our self-portraits?


No, I am not in this book. Several of you have already emailed me and asked me. I am just an artist consumer.


Kelli, chica! Love your self-portrait and your journal dolls!


Okay, artists, email me or comment and let me know what you think about this awesome book!

No comments: