Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Book Review: Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing

By Kathy Cano-Murillo - this is Kathy's second fiction book. I enjoyed her first book as well.

No Sewing Experience Needed!

Great read for crafters, artists, and avid readers!

As a teacher, I was drawn in by the characters and what would happen next to them. I could really identify with the main character, Scarlet, who has a dream that is really different than what her family wants for her. Is she strong enough to go for her dreams or give in to her family's expectations? Scarlet finally sees her dreams within her grasp and teaching an after-hours sewing class is a way of getting there.

The individual stories and richness of each character is what kept me reading to find out what would happen next. What I really enjoyed about this book was that the characters in this book were real with problems and issues that any of us could have yet I felt that dreams could still come true if I believed and worked hard enough.

As someone who sews and creates mixed media art, I loved the sewing and craft references. I liked the "how-tos" at the end of the book.

As an avid reader, I liked how there is a Q&A section with the author, book group guide, and Spanish glossary. Bonus!

Hint: Pay particular attention to prologue. I really liked how you tied everything together. Very nicely done. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I won't say anything else. This is a definite good read!

No comments: