Saturday, December 17, 2005

Getting sidetracked

I do some of my best thinking when I am doing something mindless. I get some of my best lesson plans while driving to or from school or while I am in the shower. I was just thinking while I was ironing some distressed sheets for my mini zine. I am normally not a very philosophical person. I don't spend hours thinking about things.I am by no means shallow. I am actually pretty conservative - not showing my creative side to too many people - in real life. I wear mostly black or earth tones. I think my immediate family and my kids at school see most of my creative side. I think of something and I do it. That is the way I am. I am a great follow-through person. I have a type A personality with an endless amount of energy and no patience for people who get in my way. Anway, I was thinking about doing this mini zine. I had been thinking of doing a zine for a long time now. I have done a few mini zine swaps now. Well, I have decided that it is not something that I really want to do. There are several reasons why but I just don't feel it. I will finish with this one swap and then do no more. I will continue to get art zine and contribute to them but will not be doing them myself. I might change my mind sometime in the future. I changed my mind about ATCs. Well, I just realized that I am getting sidetracked again from what I really want to do with the art. I want to be able to create what I really want to with the materials I want to play with. I want to create. I can't do that if I keep hosting and participating in swaps. I have decided that I am going to take a hiatus from swaps in 2006. I will finish the projects that I have committed to and will start nothing new. It is a promise to myself that I must push myself to keep. I want to finish my altered books for exhibition in April. I want to take a few select workshops to play and to learn about something I really want to do. I want to work on my Coke bottle challenge. I want to make some more matchbook pieces and Matchbox car pieces. I want to set up my website and get it going. I want to get my business with my partner going. I need to focus if I am going to do that. Life has kinda sucked for me this past year. I have been getting a series of chronic sinus infections and have started getting migraines. I even had sinus surgery this fall to correct the problem. It has improved since the surgery but I am sick now AGAIN with a sinus infection. DH is not as understanding and supportive as I would like him to be. I need to take care of my kids right now. One wants to go to sleep and the other one wants to eat. I will have to think about this some more. It is time to simplify and not get constantly sidetracked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Belinda
I think you are doing a good thing, taking time out to care for yourself and for your family. You cannot operate optimally as a Mum, wife or artist if you are continually drained and getting sick. I am sure those of us who are in communication with you will support you. It might make some of us stand up on our own two legs. I wish you all the best in the coming year and hope it is a good year for you. Have fun at your workshops and good luck with your exhibits through the year.

cheers

Karen

Anonymous said...

You and I are pretty much at the ends of the temperment spectrum. You probably already realized that! One thing I have to share though is how much I admire your ability to focus and commit. Best of luck with your endeavors this year in reaching your goals and simplifying. I hope you learn a lot and create much.

Happy New Year.